How is it the middle of August already? Where did the time go? With the last weeks of summer ahead of us, we were thinking about all the great things to do in Western Mass (and when we can make the time to get to all these places!) If you are looking for great last-minute summer getaway ideas, here’s a helpful list to help you plan your escape.
Here in Western Massachusetts, we’ve got something for everyone. Looking to explore outdoors? Done. Want to expand your horizons – from art to natural history? There’s that too. Got the kids in tow? They’ll love our suggestions.
First stop, the great outdoors! Some of the best bicycling in the nation is located right here in the Connecticut River Valley. Explore the winding back roads of western Massachusetts and see some beautiful scenery along the way. Both the Deerfield River and the Connecticut River bring opportunities for fishing, rafting, or boating. Feeling a little more adventurous? Why not give ziplining a try? For a little quiet relaxation, try a round of golf…or start touring all the local breweries and wineries in the area.
Dining & Shopping
The craft beer and cider trade is hopping here in western Mass, for sure! With more than 20 breweries within a 30 minute drive of the Deerfield Inn, sometimes it can be hard to choose. Use this handy Valley Beer Trail map to help.
If you like to shop, we’ve got great options for things to do in Western MA this weekend. From the Premium Outlets in Lee to the quaint shops in Shelburne Falls and Northampton, there’s something for everyone. While you’re there, why not explore these fabulous western Massachusetts towns? The Bridge of Flowers in Shelburne Falls is a must see and the Yankee Candle Flagship Store right here in Deerfield is a fun experience.
Museums, museum, museums: Did you know that the Deerfield Inn is situated near some of the best colleges and universities? With all that knowledge comes some seriously interesting museums. From Williamstown to Amherst, here are some of our favorites:
- Historic Deerfield: Our sister property has 12 historic houses to explore, along with hands-on activities for the kids at the History Workshop and Apprentice’s Workshop. Get lost in the Flynt Center of Early New England Life exploring thousands of everyday household items from the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Memorial Hall Museum: Also located in Deerfield, Memorial Hall Museum is the oldest museum association in the country. Explore the museum’s extraordinary collection of furnishings, paintings, textiles, and Native American artifacts.
- Mass MOCA : The Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art is a museum in a converted factory building complex located in North Adams, Massachusetts. It is one of the largest centers for contemporary visual art and performing arts in the United States.
- The Clark: The Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, commonly referred to as the Clark, is an art museum and research institution located in Williamstown, Massachusetts.
- Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art: The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art is a museum devoted to the art of the picture book, especially children’s picture books.
- Beneski Museum of Natural History: The Beneski Museum of Natural History is located on the campus of Amherst College in Amherst, Massachusetts. It showcases fossils and minerals collected locally and abroad, many by past and present students and professors.
- Springfield Museums: Located in the heart of downtown Springfield, Massachusetts, the Springfield Museums offer access to five world-class museums, including the Amazing World of Dr. Seuss Museum and the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden, all under a single admission.
We think the Eric Carle Museum and the Dr. Seuss Museum are two great things to do in Western Mass today with the kids, and they’ll also love the Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory, just up the road from us here in Deerfield. If they are looking to let off some steam, the Hampshire Mall features go karts, laser tag, bowling, roller skating, and even an escape room!
Wow – that’s a lot of things to do! What are you waiting for? Start planning your getaway today. Make The Deerfield Inn your home base and you’ll be minutes away from all the fun. Check Availability.