Reservations
Hide Content

Massachusetts Travel Blog

Renovating Two Guestrooms

Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014

Our 24 rooms at our bed and breakfast near Greenfield, MA are all named after folks connected with Deerfield’s history, and we have a calendar for constantly refreshing them  so they look bright and clean and inviting. This winter it is the turn of room 144 and 146, with 141 and 145 slated for later in the year.

Room 144 is named after Consider Dickinson. He was born in 1761 and for much of his life this colorful man owned the reputation of the “town character”. Uncle Sid was apparently the supplier of endless humorous anecdotes and songs. He was revered as a man of industry, good judgment, and sound economy in a small village where everyone knew everyone else. Consider Dickinson’s house stood on the site of the present Deerfield Academy main building on the town common. His large family filled it to the rafters during their frequent and noisy gatherings.

Room 146 in our bed and breakfast near Greenfield, MA is named after Samson Frary, who was a “professional” pioneer and as such, became the first settler in Deerfield. George Sheldon’s History of Deerfield  lists Samson as being in Deerfield as early as 1669. He lived in a small shelter of some sort at the north end of the village and most certainly sustained himself by tilling and planting a small piece of land. Sheldon records that Samson Frary built a house on Lot 29 across from the town common some time around 1683. This is the site of the present Frary House/Barnard Tavern and archaeological exploration there is helping to reconstruct the life and surroundings of this early Deerfield resident. Samson met his death on that terrible night on the 29 February 1704 during the French and Indian attack on Deerfield.

Be sure to drop by our bed and breakfast near Greenfield, MA and take a peek at all the activity!